Year of change Themes that will shape entertainment in 2023
20,000 foot view
This report deep dives into the themes identified in MIDiA’s 2023 predictions report. These themes will drive innovation in the digital entertainment landscape in 2023 across music, video, games, audio, cultural trends, and the creator economy.
Expect 2023 to be a of period significant disruption and innovation forced upon the digital entertainment industry, as nearly two decades of uninterrupted growth makes way for consumer-led disruption that is driven by a reduction in discretionary spending, attention, and willingness to make do with tired old formats.
Welcome to a new way of engaging with the digital status quo. Welcome to digital entertainment in 2023.
- The return IRL, coupled with reduced spending to go out, will mean more socially inclined that entertainment the better; e.g., the return the cinema, local live music and the continued prominence of
- Algorithms may favour ‘what you might like’ an individualised context, but popularity success of content relies on broader community that collectively consumes and negotiates its cultural value discussion, memes, identity association, in-groups, adjacent lean-through activities
- Noticing creators interconnected groups, and not as will help brands to tap their communities, promote overall growth audience size and satisfaction, and in converting casual creators into serious / impactful members of creator economy
- Creators only so much time and energy, thus building engagement through moments comes with an investment in process over the product. However, creators are able to harness power of the process, it the product in itself
- The next of consumers wants less products to them and more opportunities engage directly with the creators love. The role of products this new paradigm, therefore, will to serve as a reminder the moment
- The search authenticity goes beyond influencer culture, an additional and crucial role the information sphere: in effect, oversaturation has resulted in information Credibility is increasingly a function emotional perception of truth, rather a scientific one
- Cultural scenes emerging across the globe, harnessing distribution power of social and Emerging markets come with their cultures that the West has to leverage for their own An inability to grasp these has led to inauthentic and forced collaborations that have failed grab the attention of new
- While the film and video game sector continue to conjure new stories formats, the overall output of content from the entertainment industry’s players will fall
- There is limit as to how many games developers and video streamers use pre-existing IP to squeeze revenues from established fanbases without audiences who are seeking fresh
- Walled gardens by video streamers, IP owners, video games companies, will be by fans wanting to express single digital identity across multiple
- The blending cultural fandom on games like where players can use skins by disparate IP worlds, like Wars and NBA’s Michael Jordan, set a precedent that other companies will be expected to
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: Africori, All or Nothing, Amazon, Andrew Tate, Bandcamp, BeReal, Braindead, Break Point, Brittany Broski, Camilla Cabello, Charlie, Charlie Puth, Complex, Crisis Core, Discord, Disney, Dreamlight Valley, Drive to Survive, Epitaph, Final Fantasy Fortnite, Fueled by Ramen, Google, Hulu, James Charles, Joe Rogan, Katie Gregor-MacLeod, Meghan Trainor, Michael Jordan, NBA, Netflix, NTS Radio, Parlor, Rise Records, Ryan Reynolds, Shut Up and Dance, Spotify, Square Enix, Star Wars, Tiger King, TikTok, Toro Y Moi, Truth Social, Twitch, Twitter, Warner Music, Warp Records, Welcome to Wrexham, XL Recordings, YouTube, Yungblud, Zoom