Which TV Genres Have The Highest Paid Conversion Rates Among Fans?
For the first time MIDiA has included TV genre preferences and willingness to pay for them into its quarterly surveys. This covers 20 different TV genres, cross reference-able across 75 specific TV Show fan segments and 25 additional consumer segments.
The fresh insights from this data will be published in a report on TV genre preferences, so stay tuned. Until then however, let us offer a sneak peek of some genre-related findings.
- Highest genre popularity does not necessarily mean highest paid conversion: At 55%, comedy is the most widely desired genre as part of a TV service. However, when it comes to willingness to pay, movies take the first spot. The same dynamics can apply vice-versa. While sports are fourth in terms of willingness to pay, they don’t make the top five in terms of desirability.
- Anime, foreign film and TV, and political drama convert best: Relative to the size of each genre’s audience, anime, foreign film and TV, and political drama have a 100% conversion rate, followed by 96% for sports and 90% for the kids genre. On the other hand, the genre with the lowest conversion rate is news, where only 56% of consumers who would like to have the genre would be willing to pay for it.
The dataset is invaluable in designing a content genre mix, adjusting user acquisition strategies and tactics for video services, informing niche video service strategies and more, so be sure to look around.
Access the data directly on Fuse:
Would like to have genre within TV package (All countries)
Willingness to pay for genre within TV package (All countries)
Would like to have genre within TV package (Australia)
Willingness to pay for genre within TV package (Australia)
Willingness to pay for genre within TV package (Canada)
- Download both datasets in excel format
- Apply filters to the top row
- Sort question answer alphabetically in both datasets
- Divide those willing to pay for a genre by those that like it
- This will result in finding out which genre converts best relative to the size of its audience/fan base
As always, if you have any questions, suggestions, a bug to report, or would simply like to say hi, don’t hesitate to contact us.
The MIDiA Team