MIDiA Research Predictions, 2016 Video Eats The World
The 20,000 Foot View This decade has been defined by accelerating innovation and disruption. With the majority of consumers now digitally connected in one way or another, new technologies have the ability to utterly transform existing models with a swiftness and totality not previously possible. Digital disruptions no longer only affect your digital audiences yet at the same time markets evolve at different paces, with early adopters expecting ever more innovation and less adventurous consumers clinging onto incumbent platforms. In this report we explore the key technology trends that will shape music, video and mobile content in 2016.
- Consumers are adopting new technologies at unprecedented and accelerating rates
- Three major trends will shape the digital content market - messaging apps will accelerate, video will eat the world, re-aggregation will begin
- In music - digital will finally surpass of revenue, streaming holdouts will trickle not flood and Spotify will remain the leading subscription service
- In mobile – Android revenue will surpass iOS, Adblocker disruption will accelerate, big freemium games will lose traction
- In video – more unbundled video subscription services will launch, mobile video will blur at the edges, interactive ads will gain traction on TV channel apps
Companies and services mentioned in this report: Amazon, Andreessen Horowitz, Anghami, Apple, CBS, Digicel, Disney, Facebook, Fox, Google, HBO, KING, KKBox, NBC, Netflix, QQ Music, Rovio, Saavn, SeeSo, Snapchat, Spotify, Yonder, YouTube, Zynga