State Of Freemium Games Q1 2017 A Comprehensive Assessment Of Freemium Game Dynamics In The Top 100 Grossing Charts
Our clients have full access to all of our reports. Clients can log in to read this report. Click here to become a client or, you can purchase this individual report.
20,000 Foot View: The sheer importance and popularity of freemium games in the app economy is evident across the globe as they capture the lion’s share of both the top grossing overall charts, as well as gaming charts globally. But behind the global popularity of freemium games are individual regions at various levels of market maturity, platform penetrations, publisher competitiveness and consumer preferences, which together drive regional nuances for freemium game economy dynamics. Considering this is crucial for the accurate benchmarking of a game’s global performance and expansion planning, as well as go-to-market strategies.
- The gap between Freemium Games’ share of the top grossing App Store and Google Play charts is considerably wider in most emerging markets
- Except for Africa on the App Store, freemium games capture more than half of the top grossing charts in every region
- The top grossing game charts are almost entirely freemium game based with share on Google Play Store, and on the Apple App Store
- The average age of an app in top grossing games is days on the Google Play Store, compared to days on the App Store
- Asia recycles the top game charts fastest, while North America and Europe are the slowest
- In terms of freemium game publishers of the top game charts, most mature markets have a smaller degree of diversity than emerging markets
- An average of publishers account for all freemium games in the top grossing grossing game charts
- The top freemium game categories in the Asian Top grossing game charts are hardcore game categories, while In North America the largest chart share belongs to more casual categories
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: Apple, App Store, Candy Crush SagaGoogle, Play Store, Priori Data, Super Mario Run
*The datasets behind this report have been exclusively provided to MIDiA Research by Priori Data