India Music Consumer Behaviour Fragmentation and Disruption
Our clients have full access to all of our reports. Clients can log in to read this report. Click here to become a client or, you can purchase this individual report.
The 20,000 Foot View: This report presents key trends and analysis from MIDiA’s 2019 India Consumer Survey, including streaming music activities, radio, streaming app users, factors driving streaming adoption and subscriptions.
- YouTube leads Indian music consumption with of consumers using it for music, significantly above music radio on just
- A standard music subscription is the equivalent of of the average gross monthly wage in the US while in India it is equivalent to of Indian consumers stream music that they have heard in movies and TV shows
- The Indian independent artist sector is booming, boosted by a live sector that was also thriving prior to
- YouTube has the strongest weekly active user (WAU) to daily active user (DAU) rate of Gaana is a strong second on
- TikTok’s WAUs represent a strong base for parent company Bytedance’s streaming subscription service Resso but premium conversion will be challenging
- Although of non-streaming Indians say that lack of understanding is the key adoption hurdle most factors have a similar scale – there is no stand out barrier
- Being able to listen on any device is the most widely cited reason for paying to stream among Indi-an consumers but with just it is far from a standout adoption driver
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: Airtel, Amazon Prime Music, Apple Music, Bacardi, Bytedance, CD Baby, Gaana Google, Hungama Jio Music, JioSaavn, Weekender Festival, Resso, Saregama, Soundcloud, Spotify, TikTok, T-Series, Warner Music Group, Wynk, YouTube