The Voice Market and Behaviour Trends Overview
Our clients have full access to all of our reports. Clients can log in to read this report. Click here to become a client or, you can purchase this individual report.
The 20,000 Foot View: Despite being far from the mainstream at penetration, voice control activity has established itself firmly in certain pockets of the digital entertainment landscape, be it among music subscribers in terms of entertainment or among Snapchat users within social media. While smartphones remain the main devices for voice technology, smart speakers (and their future iterations) will seek to challenge the in-home attention share of smartphones in the mid-to-long term.
- In 2018, of consumers used voice command on their phones or speakers
- Penetration rates for Amazon Echo ownership grew from to between 2018 and 2018
- Music subscribers significantly over index for voice usage at compared to the consumer average
- Out of all social media platforms, Snapchat has the most concentrated user base of voice users
- iOS and Android consumers show similar adoption rates of voice and respectively) and follow nearly the same prioritisation of use cases
- Except for Brazil, Amazon Echo dominates the voice speaker market share in all territories
- At Google Home has the highest voice speaker penetration rate in Brazil
- Privacy concerned countries are a more challenging environment for voice speaker adoption
- Apple’s Home Pod has the lowest voice speaker penetration rates among the tech majors, but is likely to benefit from higher average revenue per user (ARPU) due to higher spending habits of its user base
- Amazon Echo has the oldest user base, while Apple has the youngest user base
- Smartphone remains the main device for voice usage
- In the mid-long term, smart speakers will challenge smartphones’ attention share in the home
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: Amazon Echo, Android, Apple Home Pod, Facebook, Google Home, Instagram, iOS, iPhone, Snapchat, Twitter