Tencent Tech Investment Pursuing Aggressive Growth in the West
Our clients have full access to all of our reports. Clients can log in to read this report. Click here to become a client or, you can purchase this individual report.
The 20,000 Foot View: Tencent, currently the fifth most valuable public company in the world, saw income from ‘other gains’ increase in 2017 by on 2016 figures, going million to billion. These other gains comprised one-off gains from IPOs, tax rebates and investment subsidies. Tencent’s plans to continue investing in content and technology may weigh on short-term profitability, but the return from these investments – as illustrated by the eight-fold year-on-year (YoY) increase in 2017, will anchor long-term growth, in turn potentially funding more aggressive growth and innovation strategies.
- Tencent’s three music apps, QQ Music, Kugou and Kuwo, combined account for of the Chinese market share for music subscribers
- Tencent has been involved with major acquisitions and investments in gaming since 2008
- Tencent has of the gaming market share in China
- Tencent invested more than billion in India between 2015 and 2018 as it looks to capture the next billion users to come online
- Tencent invested billion in 2018 and continues to build its growing gaming empire
- Tencent Video users are times more likely to regularly watch sports than overall consumers of Tencent’s WeChat weekly users are sports fans
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: Activision Blizzard, Alibaba, Baidu, Bank of America Merril Lynch, BBC Worldwide, China Everbright, China Literature, Douya, eBay, Epic Games, Facebook, FlipKart, Gaana, Goldman Sachs, Hike, Huya, Jio, Kuguo, Kuwo, Major League Baseball, Meilishuo, Meituan Dianping, Microsoft, Morgan Stanley, Motion Picture Association of America, National Basketball Association, Ola, Paytm, Pear Video, QQ Music, Riot Games, Snap Inc., Soguo, Spotify, Supercell, Tang Media Partners, Tencent, Tencent Music, Tencent Video, Uber, Ubisoft, Vivendi, Wallmart, WeChat, Whatsapp