Spotify User Profile An Increasingly Mainstream Yet Digitally Sophisticated Audience
Our clients have full access to all of our reports. Clients can log in to read this report. Click here to become a client or, you can purchase this individual report.
The 20,000 Foot View: Spotify is the poster child of streaming music, having done more than any other company to grow the segment and to prove the freemium business model at scale. It has built an active user base that outshines any other freemium music service, and through tactics such as telco bundles and pricing discounts continues to squeeze every last drop of opportunity out of the subscription model. Spotify has successfully diversified its user base beyond its initial early adopter base and now has a broad mix of users in which females are as well represented as males – no small feat for the traditionally male dominated streaming music market.
of consumers use Spotify weekly, rising to in its homeland Sweden, and falling to in France, homeland of competitor Deezer
- Spotify users are evenly distributed age-wise, with a slight bias towards under of Spotify users are under while are under
- Spotify’s core age group is year olds of the total)
- Spotify’s peak penetration is among year old females
- Spotify users are sophisticated digital consumers, markedly over-indexing for most digital activities
- There are million Spotify Monthly Active Users (MAUs)
- Spotify users are much more likely than overall consumers to watch YouTube (overall and for music videos)
- They are much more likely to have music and video subscriptions and to pay for apps
- Spotify users are on average twice as likely to be high spenders in music, online video and mobile apps are messaging app users and are mobile ad blocking users
Companies mentioned in this report: Apple Music, Deezer, Napster, Netflix, SoundCloud, Spotify, Telia, Tidal, Vevo, YouTube