Sports Viewing 2018 SVOD Taking Over?
Our clients have full access to all of our reports. Clients can log in to read this report. Click here to become a client or, you can purchase this individual report.
20,000-Foot View: Facing the menacing presence of streaming alternatives, TV networks find themselves under growing pressure to ensure that viewing patterns are strong enough to deliver a return on expensively acquired sports rights. Against this backdrop, sports viewing in 2018 was largely one of stagnation, remaining flat at while free streaming declined. This combined with the aging demographic profile of regular TV sports viewers underlines the long-term risk attached to the premium value currently afforded to sports in the video landscape. With sports now only ranking as the sixth most desired content genre, its value proposition is decreasing. The notable exception is that sports consumption on TV remains solid in the face of pay-TV cord-cutting, reiterating the short-term value of premium sports rights—inflated or not—for pay-TV operators.
- Sport is the sixth most popular video content genre at penetration, points behind the most preferred genre, Comedy of consumers are willing to pay for sports content as part of a video / TV offering, points behind those willing to pay to access movies
- Sports viewing on TV remained flat at penetration comparing 2017 to 2018
- Watching free streaming sports video fell from in 2017 to in 2018
- The average age of regular TV sports viewers is while are male of sports viewers listen to the radio, points above the weighted average of sports viewers use Twitter weekly, points above the weighted average
- TV sports viewing is highest in the US and Australia at compared to in Canada of cord cutters are regular TV sports viewers
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: AFL, Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Prime, DAZN, Discovery, Eleven Sports, EPL, ESPN+, Euroleague, Facebook, GolfTV, Kayo Sports, La Liga, Ligue Matchroom Sports, MLB, Netflix, NFL, NRL, PGA, Spotify, Twitter, UEFA