Music Streaming Services Market Shares H1 2018 Subscriber Share Update
The 20,000 Foot View: This report provides a global level mid-year update to MIDiA’s Music Subscriber Market Shares report, presenting 2018 figures.
- Music subscribers grew by in the first half of 2018 to reach million, up from 198.6 million at the end of 2017
- Growth is steady rather than strongly accelerating – there were million net new subscribers added year-on-year (YoY) between 2017 and 2018, compared to million between 2016 and 2017
- This indicates growth remains on the faster-growth midpoint of the S-curve
- Between them, Spotify Apple Music and Amazon accounted for of all global music subscribers at the end of 2018
- Spotify once again maintained global market share of the same as in 2017, with million subscribers
- Apple added two points of market share, up to and up three points YoY, with million subscribers
- Across Prime Music and Music Unlimited Amazon added just under half a point of market share, stable at with a combined million subscribers
- Google performed strongly, adding million subscribers in the period.
- In Japan, Line Music experienced solid quarterly growth to reach one million subscribers
- In South Korea MelOn had a dip in but recovered in to finish slightly above 2017 with million subscribers
- In the US Pandora had a solid six months, adding million subscribers
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: Amazon, Amazon Prime Music, Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple, Apple Music, Google, Google Play MusicLine Music, MelON, , Pandora, Spotify