YouTube State Of The Nation
The 20,000 Foot View: As the TV viewing experience becomes increasingly YouTube continues to expand as the world’s default video destination, with a increase in year-on-year views for the top YouTube channels. This is in spite of the company’s ongoing crack down to remove inactive subscribers on the platform. Music remains the main content engagement driver with a increase in music views in the top between November 2016 and November 2017. With Netflix and Amazon pushing the streaming video market forwards, YouTube's case as a relevant centre stage player, is stronger than ever before.
- Views of YouTube top channel are up YoY in 2017
- Music is still the dominant category with of total views, although this is down slightly from in November 2016
- Music channels have an average of views per subscriber, compared to the top channel average of views per subscriber
- Music, entertainment and gaming together account for of total views by of US year olds do not skip relevant YouTube ads, which is more than twice the all-country average of continued to build its weekly active user base while competitors’ figures remained stable or declined
- In 2017 YouTube weekly users passed making it mainstream in the US, UK, Canada and Australia
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: Amazon, Netflix, Sling TV, YouTube