YouTube Q2 2017 Quietly Bigger And Better Than Ever
The 20,000 Foot View: The announcement in June 2017 that YouTube had billion monthly logged-in users was the first official user number since the 2013 tally of One billion unique monthly users. This metrics reticence stands in stark contrast to rivals in the attention economy, such as Facebook, which provides quarterly updates on its continued growth in active users. In spite of Alphabet’s policy of deliberately underplaying YouTube’s engagement metrics, the upsurge in views and steady increase in consumer penetration highlights the strength of growth in both activity and users. This has been achieved in the face of a continued push onto video by platforms across the digital media spectrum. Despite increased competition from several directions, YouTube has managed to stay ahead of the pack, way ahead of the pack.
- YouTube engagement up in 2017
- Engagement is despite total channel subscribers being to billion for the top viewed channels
- Music is the key YouTube content category, for of channel views but not keeping up with overall growth
- Music’s overall of views declined by from 2016 to % in 2017 of YouTube Monthly Active Users (MAUs) are aged over
- Only of users are aged of consumers in 2017 use YouTube on a monthly basis up from in 2015 of consumers subscribe to YouTube channels
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: Alphabet, Facebook, Google, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube