Independent Artist Survey Aspirations That Will Reshape an Industry
Our clients have full access to all of our reports. Clients can log in to read this report. Click here to become a client or, you can purchase this individual report.
The 20,000 Foot View: This report presents the findings of MIDiA’s 2019 independent artist survey.
- Independent artists will drive a different future: just want a traditional label deal, want a label services deal and want to remain independent
- Independent artists are established in their own right: they have an average annual income of and million streams
- Independence is a mindset: of independent artists want to retain creative and commercial control of their careers, while want to retain their rights
- The ability to market their music and find an audience is the top decision driver for artists when choosing a label or distributor
- Marketing and artists and repertoire (A&R) team capabilities are the most important factors for artists when choosing a label services deal
- Independent artists are both the present and the future: they are a scale opportunity in their own right and also represent the future of label artists
- Labels – both incumbent and insurgent – will have to embrace non-traditional deals at scale to meet the demands of the next generation of artists
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: AWAL, BMG Music Rights, CD Baby, Kobalt, Tunecore, Amuse