Emerging Music Markets Streaming’s Third Wave
The 20,000 Foot View: With streaming growth set to slow in mature western markets by 2019, the next wave of fast growth will come from a mixture of mid-tier markets such as Mexico, Brazil, Japan and Germany. Beyond that, the streaming market will need to look towards emerging markets for growth. Emerging markets in Asia and Africa present a diverse variety of opportunities, but current evidence suggests that the outlook for these markets is far from uniform.
- Chinese music totalled million in 2017, up million one year earlier, while sum total of reported free totalled million
- Tencent dominates streaming in China, with of and a sum total of free users across QQ Music, and Kugou 2018 Chinese free streaming penetration was while tip karaoke on QQ and do karaoke themselves
- Indian music totalled less than one million 2017, generating revenue of million, the sum of reported free totalled million
- In India was the leading service with MAUs, followed by Tencent-backed Gaana million
- Free streaming in India 2018 was reflecting early growing market with most its growth ahead of it
- The recorded market in sub-Saharan Africa was about million in retail terms 2017 and million in label terms, streaming revenue was million
- Telcos are key force in the sub-Saharan digital music market, including MTN, generates revenues of around million year, across million customers
- East Africa Mdundo has the largest installed of streaming users in sub-Saharan with just two million MAUs
- YouTube dominates African streaming and is helping artists find international audiences
- The Middle streaming market generated million in in label trade terms.
- After years copyright challenges, the Russian streaming is finally growing, led by Music with million subscribers
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: Africha, Africori, Apple Music, Baidu Music, Deezer, du, Etisalat, Gaana, Hungama, iRoking, Jio Music, Kugou, Kuwo, Mdundo, Mkito, Mobile Money Kenya, Mobile Money Tanzania, Mobily, MTN, MTN Music+, Mzliki, Netease, Netease Cloud Music, QQ Messenger, QQ Music, Reliance Communications, Samsung, Safaricom, Saavn, Simfy Africa, Skiza, Tencent, Tencent Music, Vkontakte, Vkontakte Music, Vuga, WeChat, Wynk Music, Yala.FM, Yandex, Yandex Music, YouTube, Zvook