Why Netflix Is A Next Generation Network And Amazon Is A Next Generation Operator Emerging next generation operator and network assets profiles
20,000 Foot View: The shift to digital consumption has brought SVOD (Subscription Video On Demand) to the fore. And leading the charge both domestically in the US and internationally are Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Netflix is now in territories and Amazon Prime Video is now available in separate territories. Traditionally, the TV industry has been focused on Netflix as the leading SVOD Service followed by Amazon Prime Video. But to place both services in the same bracket overlooks a fundamental distinction between the two services and how they see their respective evolving roles in the emerging streaming video landscape. Netflix is developing the attributes of a next-generation network while Amazon is developing into a next generation operator. If you are a TV network, Netflix is the competitor, Amazon the partner.
- Netflix’s assets it best placed to become next generation network
- Amazon’s assets it best placed to become next generation operator
- Netflix is into a closed ecosystem with emphasis on originals
- Amazon has hosting infrastructure and ad integration to enable it to offer services to third parties
- Netflix’s key objective for video is to subscriptions
- Amazon’s key objective for video is to engagement with the Amazon ecosystem Amazon Prime
- If you an operator Amazon is now competitor and Netflix a potential If you are a network, opposite applies.
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: Netflix, Amazon, Amazon Web Services, Amazon Prime Video, HBO, Starz, Hulu