The Platform-Agnostic Artist Building Audiences In A Decentralized Media Landscape
20,000 Foot View: It used to be much simpler. Fixed programming formats in Television, Print and Radio meant you knew where an audience was and how long they would be there for, yet creators now find themselves in an echo chamber where the tyranny of choice means their potential audience never stays in the same place for long. They are now competing in the attention economy, but across many platforms simultaneously. This convoluted media arena means that the onus is for creators of music and visual forms to understand the nature of their audience more than ever before, and how their work can be discoverable in the context of these emerging consumption habits.The result is a decentralized landscape that requires a platform agnostic attitude and cross-channel fluency.
- The present of freemium, subscription and telco has created a vastly different consumption experience from the traditional
- In the since Spotify launched, streaming has the de facto mode of for many music fans
- Playlists have Albums for of music consumers more of consumers are using curated playlists through Spotify and Apple Music than they did six months previously
- Visual formats no longer constrained by the considerations of previous eras
- The image-centric increasingly video-based post-platform landscape reveals in how pure music offerings Apple Music) are different in consumptions patterns compared to audio-visual Snapchat)
Companies and brand mentioned in this report: Anghami, Apple, Amazon, Deezer, Digster, Disney, Google, KKbox, MixRadio, MTV, Netflix, Pandora, Rhapsody, Soundcloud, Spotify, Tidal, Vevo, YouTube