Social media user snapshot Q1 2022
20,000 foot view: This report presents country-level snapshots into the social media usage, engagement habits, and ad tolerances of different social app users. It covers Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, YouTube, TikTok and Discord across MIDiA’s nine surveyed markets of the US, the UK, Australia, Canada, Germany, France, Sweden, South Korea and Brazil.
- All social experienced a spike in weekly users (WAUs) in 2021, settling continued growth from early stages the pandemic
- Despite early promise, social video remains niche. has only WAU penetration globally, Instagram’s Reels rests at below just over a fourth of overall and YouTube Shorts has lower than YouTube for games and YouTube itself
- All social WAUs over-index slightly for overall resistance, while also over-indexing slightly preferring relevant ads.Twitter users over-index for preferring polls / quizzes repeated ad intrusions of all consumers spend hours on social media per week, with an overall consumer average of hours. However, the average number of hours rises for weekly active users of most social media platforms, peaking at hours for Snapchat and Reddit WAUs. This goes yet higher for users of some platform features, with for WAUs of Instagram Reels andStories. TikTok WAUs are the next runners up, at hours
- Discord, while niche at WAU, demonstrates the of consumers on community-focused apps, Reddit and Twitch. These consumers a proclivity for creative behaviours, well as stronger opinions on – both in terms of avoidance, like skipping, and preferring advertising
- French consumers hyper-engaged on social, strongly under-indexing for viewing content without engaging no activity. German consumers are over-indexing both for ad blocking managing cookies on websites they
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: Discord, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, Twitter, YouTube