Social media user snapshot Q1 2022
Our clients have full access to all of our reports. Clients can log in to read this report. Click here to become a client or, you can purchase this individual report.
20,000 foot view: This report presents country-level snapshots into the social media usage, engagement habits, and ad tolerances of different social app users. It covers Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, YouTube, TikTok and Discord across MIDiA’s nine surveyed markets of the US, the UK, Australia, Canada, Germany, France, Sweden, South Korea and Brazil.
- All social apps experienced a spike in weekly active users (WAUs) in 2021, settling into continued growth from early stages of the pandemic
- Despite early marketing promise, social video remains niche. TikTok has only WAU penetration globally, while Instagram’s Reels rests at below Stories just over a fourth of Instagram overall and YouTube Shorts has WAUs, lower than YouTube for games videos and YouTube itself
- All social media WAUs over-index slightly for overall ad resistance, while also over-indexing slightly for preferring relevant ads.Twitter users over-index highest for preferring polls / quizzes over repeated ad intrusions of all consumers spend hours on social media per week, with an overall consumer average of hours. However, the average number of hours rises for weekly active users of most social media platforms, peaking at hours for Snapchat and Reddit WAUs. This goes yet higher for users of some platform features, with for WAUs of Instagram Reels andStories. TikTok WAUs are the next runners up, at hours
- Discord, while still niche at WAU, demonstrates the preferences of consumers on community-focused apps, like Reddit and Twitch. These consumers exhibit a proclivity for creative behaviours, as well as stronger opinions on ads – both in terms of ad avoidance, like skipping, and preferring relevant advertising
- French consumers are hyper-engaged on social, strongly under-indexing both for viewing content without engaging and no activity. German consumers are privacy-conscious, over-indexing both for ad blocking and managing cookies on websites they visit
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: Discord, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, Twitter, YouTube