Podcasts Q2 2020 Spotify Takes an Early Lead
Our clients have full access to all of our reports. Clients can log in to read this report. Click here to become a client or, you can purchase this individual report.
The 20,000 Foot View: Podcasts have become the next battle front for audio. Spotify’s ambitious content and product strategy have enabled it to become an early leader, but the podcast market is still in its infancy, with adoption far lower than radio or streaming music. Podcasts have greater long-term market potential than music streaming but with many divergent objectives among key players, the interplay of product and content strategy will delineate the competitive marketplace.
- In 2020, radio led audio consumption with weekly active user penetration, ahead of streaming music at music radio at and podcasts at
- Spotify is now the leading destination platform for podcast users. In 2020, of podcast listeners used Spotify, points ahead of Apple in second place
- Spotify podcast user penetration peaks at of podcast users in Germany and is lowest in France
- ACAST podcast user penetration peaks at in the US but falls to in Australia, and Downcast reaches in the US but only in Germany
- Spotify is using podcasts to increase its streaming market share: of Apple Music weekly active users that are also podcast listeners get some of their podcasts from Spotify
- However, the fact that Spotify’s exclusive podcasts are in front of the paywall makes it vulnerable during the recession to subscribers cancelling in favour of Apple One, while retaining the free app for podcasts
- In the UK, the BBC’s Sounds app is the second most used platform for podcasts after Spotify and far ahead of Apple in third of BBC Sounds weekly average listeners use it for podcasts, compared to for NPR
- BBC Sounds sets a blueprint for broadcasters to devise app-centric product approach as the core of integrated audio strategy to drive podcast adoption and audience transition
- Proving podcast return on investment to advertisers will be crucial during the recession of podcast weekly average users usually skip ads in podcasts, but said they are more likely to pay attention to an audio ad than ads that are displayed online
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: ABC, ACAST, Apple, Apple Music, Apple One, Audible, BBC, BBC Sounds, CBC, Downcast, France Radio, Global, Google, Luminary, NPR, Overcast, Spotify, Stitcher