Music Subscriber Market Shares 3.0 The Big Three Dominate
Our clients have full access to all of our reports. Clients can log in to read this report. Click here to become a client or, you can purchase this individual report.
The 20,000 Foot View: This report presents key figures from MIDiA’s global music subscriber market shares model. The full dataset is published alongside this report with quarterly data from 2015 to 2019 for streaming services across different markets.
- There were million music subscribers globally in 2019, up million on 2018, with Spotify the market leader at market share with million subscribers
- Spotify has maintained long-term market share but Apple and Amazon grew to and respectively. Google was also a big gainer, with million subscribers
- Apple Music leads the US with million representing of the total million US subscribers, with Spotify second on with million
- Both Amazon and Apple gained US market share between 2017 and 2019 at Spotify’s expense
- The UK reached million subscribers in 2019, up from million in 2017, with Spotify leading on million. Amazon and Google were big gainers, but Apple slowed in 2019
- Canada had million subscribers in 2019, up from million in 2017, with Spotify leading on million, more than Amazon and Apple combined
- France was Europe’s third-largest subscriber market with million subscribers in 2019, with Spotify leading on million and Deezer second with million
- Germany is Europe’s second largest subscriber market with million. Spotify leads with million followed by Amazon on million
- Sweden is one of Europe’s smaller streaming markets with million subscribers, but it is also one of its most developed with penetration. Spotify dominates with share
- Spotify dominates the Australian streaming market with of the total million subscribers, though Apple and Google both grew faster
- Japan is the most fragmented major streaming market with six large-scale services. Amazon leads with market share with Apple second on
- Brazil is Latin America’s largest streaming market with million subscribers. Spotify leads with million but Deezer is a strong second with million
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: Amazon, Amazon Prime Music, Amazon Music Unlimited, Amazon Music, Apple, Apple Music, AWA, Bytedance, d Hits, Deezer, Gaana, Genie Music, Google, Hungama, Jio Saavn, KKBox, Line Music, MelON, Napster, Netease, Pandora, Sirius XM, Soundcloud, Spotify, Tencent Music, Tidal, TikTok, YouTube Music, Wynk, Xiami