Music Consumer Segmentation 2016 Subscriptions Swell Aficionado Numbers
Our clients have full access to all of our reports. Clients can log in to read this report. Click here to become a client or, you can purchase this individual report.
The 20,000 Foot View
Midway through the streaming transition, consumer segmentation is more complex and nuanced than ever before. The traditional methods of segmenting by spending behaviour retain a core value, while those based on attitudes are most valuable for understanding streaming consumers. With both approaches though, the Music Aficionado emerges as the standout segment, invaluable to both the old and new recorded music industries.
- There are two macro approaches to music segmentation: behavioural and attitudinal
- Aficionados are the most engaged group of music fans in both approaches to segmentation of behavioural Aficionados spend or more a month on music compared to just of attitudinal Aficionados
- Behavioural Aficionado penetration grew from in 2014 to in 2016
- Music subscriptions are getting real traction among Aficionados, up to in 2016 from in 2014
- There is more Aficionado growth potential for subscriptions but the price point will only go so far
- To drive large scale revenue growth, increased spending needs to come from a wider group than just Aficionados, Forgotten Fans in particular