Music Consumer Behaviour Q3 2018 YouTube Leads the Way But At What Cost?
Our clients have full access to all of our reports. Clients can log in to read this report. Click here to become a client or, you can purchase this individual report.
The 20,000 Foot View: This report presents music consumption data for 2018, with consumer data for US, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Australia, Japan, Germany, Sweden and the UK.
- Radio listening is the most widespread music activity with penetration and watching music videos on YouTube is second on
- Across all ages, YouTube is the only streaming activity to cross over to mainstream (i.e. more than penetration)
- A generational divide is present, with older consumers clinging on to legacy format and younger consumers adopting streaming
- Streaming audio behaviour is fragmented, with user playlists, curated playlists, podcasts and streaming radio ‘channels’ all at or below
- The car is the clear leader in terms of music listening location with penetration but phone is highest among under
- Free audio streaming is smaller than both YouTube and music radio in all markets, even in Sweden, home of Spotify
- In Mexico YouTube music penetration is for consumers aged 20–24, compared to for music radio
- Podcast penetration is – as high as curated playlist penetration
- Podcast penetration is highest in stronger radio markets, with penetration at in Canada and Australia, though peaking at in Sweden
- YouTube is the world’s most widely used streaming music app with WAU penetration, far ahead of second placed Spotify on
- Music video ad supported label revenue was up in 2017, compared to just for ad supported audio
- Spotify’s WAU rate is markedly higher than Apple Music’s
- YouTube is at the bottom of the pack in terms of free-to-paid conversion, with just
- Of the other freemium services, Spotify is top with followed by Deezer on and Soundcloud on
- Streaming video has its use case – binge watching – but playlists are not yet that for streaming music
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: Amazon, Amazon Prime Music, Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple, Apple Music, Deezer, Google, Google Play Music, Napster, Soundcloud, Spotify, Tidal, YouTube