Peak Attention Competing in a Saturated Attention Economy
The 20,000 Foot View: Smartphones have made media consumption more interconnected than ever and are still increasing audiences time spent with entertainment. Filling the residual audience downtime from the analogue era was the fuel in the engine of the digital content economy. Now, however, the attention economy has peaked, with the majority of that downtime addressed. Future attention growth is becoming zero sum, with time gained most often at the expense of time spent elsewhere. In this report MIDiA maps entertainment consumption across all formats in our unique Attention Model, tracking a dozen entertainment behaviours across markets.
- The filling audience downtime fuelled the digital economy, but now the attention is entering a new phase:
- Attention growth peaked: just of the total entertainment hours available remain unaddressed
- Video dominates across traditional and digital media, for of all entertainment time
- Audio is at with radio the major despite a steady decline across developed markets
- Social media, biggest digital contributor at has consumer behaviour rather than transitioning antecedents
- Despite the of audio streaming, its contribution overall entertainment time is small
- Streaming video is mainstream, with a combined of million across the surveyed compared to million for streaming
- Games is major format, accounting for of time
- News and readers average just hours across adult population, despite having the audience million)
- Due to abundance, attention is becoming devalued sentiment is the next engagement that needs to be added the measurement mix
- The commodification user experience will no longer – user experiences must become of bold, unique brand identities
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: Amazon, Amazon Music, Amazon Prime Video, Angry Birds, AOL, Apple, Apple Music, Apple TV+, Clash of Clans, Candy Crush Saga, Discovery Networks, Disney, Disney+, Facebook Fortnite, Fortnite World Cup, Google, HBO, Hulu, Instagram, NBC, Netflix, Snapchat, Spotify, TikTok, Warner Media, WeChat, Yahoo, YouTube
Note: A detailed Attention Model dataset is published alongside this report with data for entertainment activities for markets, including audience size, average time spent, total time spent and attention share.