The 20,000 Foot View: In this report, we present highlights of content trends from MIDiA’s Quarterly Brand Tracker, a survey fielded in the US, UK, Canada and Australia. This report explores how consumer behaviour evolved between Q2 2017 and Q2 2018 across music, video, games and social.
- YouTube topped music streaming in Q2 2018 with X% weekly active user (WAU) penetration
- Spotify was second with X%, up two points on Q1 2018 while Amazon was up one point across Prime Music and Music Unlimited to reach X%
- Apple Music was fourth, flat at X% for the fourth successive quarter
- Facebook halted its deadly decline in WAUs, up one point to X% while its messenger apps collectively added X points penetration
- Snapchat remained flat at X% though lost X points in the UK, down to X%
- Pinterest was up X point to X% but remains below its Q3 2017 high of X%.
- YouTube is still the leading video app but Netflix is just X points behind. YouTube was up X point to X% in Q2 2018
- Netflix continued its inexorable rise, up X point for the third successive quarter to reach X% and up X points from X% in Q4 2016
- Amazon Prime Video WAUs fell one point while the leading local subscription video on demand (SVOD) services gained X points
- After a strong Q1 2018 radio listening was down X point to X% while free streaming was up X points to X%
- Music subscriptions continued a steady rise, up X point to X%. Penetration was highest in the US – X%, up X points – and Australia, X%, up X points
- Facebook video was the big gainer in Q2 2018, up X points to X%, with penetration peaking at X% in Australia
- Pay-TV penetration was up slightly to X% in Q2 2018 while cord cutting was flat at X% and cord shaving at X%
Companies and brands mentioned in this report: Amazon Prime Music, Amazon Prime Video, Apple Music, Crave TV, Deezer, Epic Games, Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Fortnite, Google Play Music All Access, Hulu, Instagram, iPlayer, Music Messenger, Netflix, Now TV, Pinterest, Snapchat, Snap Inc, Soundcloud, Spotify, Stan, Tidal, Twitter, Twitch, WhatsApp, YouTube
Includes Synopsis, PDF, Slides and Dataset