The 20,000 Foot View
Natives and Immigrants demarcate the digital world. While Digital Immigrants bear the baggage of their analogue era past, Digital Natives have only ever know ubiquitous connectivity and content availability. Consequently the digital music behaviour of Digital Natives evolves at a dramatic pace and markedly over indexes against the Digital Immigrants. While the slow down in digital revenue growth revolves around spending transition of high spending Digital Immigrants, it is the attitudes and behaviour of the Natives that give us the best indication of how the digital music market will evolve.
Key Findings (Data Points Are Removed From This Preview Summary)
- Online music video and radio are the two most widespread music activities for Digital Natives, both with X% penetration.
- With X% penetration, streaming is the digital music zeitgeist for Digital Natives.
- Digital Natives differ from other consumers most in free music activity.
- P2P adoption is widespread but it is a new wave of piracy technologies, such as free music downloader apps and YouTube rippers that appeal most to Digital Natives.
- Free music downloader apps are most widely adopted by Brazilian Digital Natives – with X% penetration - whereas YouTube is popular across all markets.
- Music matters to Digital Natives, with 8X% stating music is an important part of their life.
- A fifth of Digital Natives have tried streaming subscription trials but convincing them pay is another matter entirely, with a third saying they get all they need from YouTube for free.
Companies mentioned in this report: YouTube, Soundcloud, Pandora, Pockettube
Price includes excel dataset